Monday, November 9, 2009

A Cure for Boredom

If I have control over a situation and find it to be boring, then I usually make it interesting in order to sustain my own and others' attention- I change the subject of a redundant conversation by describing an interesting experience that I had or tell a joke and make the people around me laugh and feel good instead of drowning in boredom.

If I do not have any control over a "boring" situation then I try to focus on a specific aspect of the situation that might be of slight interest to me and I attempt to relate to it. Relating to the situation makes me focus more and be more attentive. It is often challenging to sustain one's attention when suffering from boredom, but I just try to make the most out of it and grasp onto little sparks of information in order to tie together the bigger picture. I often visualize what is being said and use my imagination to create an interesting story around it in order to pay attention, understand, and remember what I am listening to. I always make an effort to be respectful, so- even if I am bored- I do my best to be attentive.

2 comments:

  1. I love using my imagination!! I try and make things a lot more interesting if I don't have an interest in the topic to begin with.
    P.S. I like the way you have you blog set up!! haha just throwin that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I totally believe that the more we use our imagination, the more creative we can become. Our imagination and creativity distinguish ourselves from others and make us unique.

    And thanks!! I'm glad you like my blog, that's fun to hear :)

    ReplyDelete