Friday, September 25, 2009

LIFE-101


Okay, so here's the deal. We have all these General Education classes (also known as "Gen-Eds") that we must take in order to fulfill all of the requirements to earn a Bachelor's degree. Understandable. And yes, I know that many of you do not see the purpose of taking these classes. I mean, really, why should an Art History major take BIOL-101 (Biological Sciences)? Or, how come a student pursuing a degree in Economics needs to sit through not one, but TWO College Writing classes (ENWR-105, ENWR-106)?!?

Personally, and don't attack me please, I see these Gen-Ed requirements as a way to help us become well-rounded individuals.

Think about it for a moment. How can you be a writer if you know nothing other than spelling, grammar, and writing techniques? What will you write about?

How can you become a successful businessman (or woman) without mastering the art of public speaking? What will happen when you need to make presentations for large corporations? (and no, not every presentation involves a PowerPoint. You do realize that People will judge your speaking patterns, the words that you choose, and your confidence level while you make a speech, right?).

Besides, we are mostly provided with general categories that each offer a multiple number of courses to choose from in order to complete a certain requirement. There must be some course under the broad category of "Social Science" that interests each one of us, don't you agree? And you know that you actually did end up enjoying that yoga class. :)

I will admit, though, that some of our required Gen-Ed classes are taught in ridiculous ways that result in no learning whatsoever and, therefore, really do become unnecessary.

So I propose a more beneficial way of learning. Taking classes that will help us in everyday life as responsible, intelligent adults. Montclair State University, Rub your mind against this: instead of requiring the (often, dull, exasperating) course "New Student Seminar" for all incoming Freshmen (which, by the way, sometimes tempts them to put on their running shoes and run right down MSU's hill and off to a different university), you might do a better service by offering a course that will teach time management skills, critical thinking (and thinking outside the box, if we are finally talking about the important, broad topic of "thinking"), networking methods, and how to effectively work in group settings. Or how about the basics of choosing and establishing a career from the ground up? Isn't that what we all intend to do? And, just for the record, the knowledge and skills that I am discussing here are not learned from a text book nor from power point presentations but from discussions and personal knowledge and experience.

Not only would these skills help us all in life, but they would also provide us with basic knowledge that can act as a solid ground in almost all college courses.

There is so much information that can be taught in order to prepare us for the "real world." Yes, we need to know basic math and writing skills, but aren't basic life skills just as important?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your comment about the Gen-Eds. A lot of people see them as pointless, but some of the classes are actually fun! Plus, you get to see what else you're interested in besides your major. I also agree with your comment about the New Student Seminar. Haha I hated that class! I just think that professors shouldn't make you do SO much work for a class that has nothing to do with your major. I'm not saying for the professors to not make you do anything, but when a Gen-Ed becomes more of a pain in the neck then an actual course for your major, that's bad. =[

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that a lot of the Gen-Eds are pointless. I took "Cultures of South East Asia" as a freshman and I cant even remember a thing. But Gen-Eds do have their upside. They open up your horizon to all aspects of education and life. If I was able to change requirements I would keep Gen- Eds but limit the amount of classes you need to take. 2 Yrs of Gen- Eds are way to much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all great ideas, Daisy. You're right about having a well-rounded education part. It's the same reason you have to take all sorts of general courses in high school, too. Though it is frustrating that you're forced to take courses you really don't like or think you'll ever need, the reality is that you don't know what you will need in the future.

    For example, I've never been good in math and hated that I had to take algebra or contemporary math to get my BA. I was a comm major. What do I need that for? Well, 7 years later, I'm a teacher who has to calculate grades and that course in statistics I ended up taking has given me the basis for figuring out test grades, curves, and weighting semester averages. Did I know then that this is where I'd be. No way. Yet, this is where I am.

    Also keep in mind that through these gen ed courses a lot of what you're suggesting be offered in separate classes is exactly what's being taught. Critical thinking and time management skills are not something that can be taught in a single semester, but are acquired over time. Gen ed is where you get to exercise these skills by opening your mind to ideas and information you never thought about before.

    ReplyDelete