Friday, December 18, 2009

Uhhh...I'm right here

(10/13/09 blog post)

I was sitting in the library with a friend--she was using a laptop to type an assignment and I was studying for a test and texting on my phone, while we conversed. Obviously, we were too distracted by multitasking to look each other in the eye while we talked. I noticed that I was constantly asking her to repeat what she said because I wasn't paying full attention. When she repeated her thoughts the second time around, I looked her in the eye and found that it helped me take in the information more effectively.

I also noticed that my friend looked away from her laptop when she spoke to me in order to keep eye contact, and when I didn't provide eye contact in turn-- she looked at me with an agitated expression on her face that automatically made me realize that she was seeking my full attention. It is pretty strange not to have eye contact while communicating with the person in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment